Press "Enter" to skip to content

Category: Life: Work and Techy

Avoiding the Perl problem+Recruitment

[Note: this is an old blog entry which I used to have as a Slashdot journal entry. I thought I had lost it, but thanks to the Wayback machine, you can now see what I was blogging about all those many years ago.] Entry date: Sunday October 21 @06:36PM [2001] I found a work around for the Perl problem I reported on last week, it seems if you add a line similar to: DBI->trace(3,”nul:ignore.txt”); To your source code, DBI no longer causes your Windows 2000 machine to crash. If you increase or decrease the trace value though, expect the crashes to come back. Only problem is, is that no body else seems to have encountered this problem. Oh, Mitch Collis (the Operations Director at Cradley Print allowed me to hunt, find and assimilate (in other words – employ somebody) a ‘junior perl developer’ to help me as my workload has been booked up for several years already. I received around a dozen CVs from various agencies (Connex Recruitment [who have an annoying habit of sending outgoing Emails in MS Word format], Computer Futures, IT Executive and Forman Computer Staff). After applying my ‘criteria’ selection (staff between 18 and 30 with…

Problems with production sections

[Note: this is an old blog entry which I used to have as a Slashdot journal entry. I thought I had lost it, but thanks to the Wayback machine, you can now see what I was blogging about all those many years ago.] Entry date: Monday October 15 @06:05AM [2001] Kak! I’m experiencing major problemos with the ‘section checking’ code for the production side of the Cradley Group Intranet. It seems as though I’m either hitting a problem with the Activestate Perl executable (v5.6.1 build 629, Aug 20 2001) or with DBI (1.14) or DBD::ODBC (0.28). Basically, when I certain parts of the code run, Perl.exe throws up a Dr.Watson error on my Win2k Professional work’s laptop, and only half of the page displays on the browser. The problem is is that the script doesn’t send anything to the browser until it’s practically finished – therefore it would seem that the ‘output to browser’ code is buggy. Problem is, is that the same code is being used on Beebware.com, Adlive.co.uk, PDFCheck.com and the intranet site all without problems. Adlive/PDFCheck/Intranet are running on Win2k Advanced Server with Apache, Beebware.com is on a –nix box with Apache and my laptop (beebware.demon.co.uk if…