We were recently given the following puzzle at work (for some unknown reason) and were told the record for solving it as far as our boss knew was 4 hours – some people have spent days and months over it and some people aren’t able to solve it at all! I managed around 2.5 hours 😀
Allegedly set by Albert Einstein who said the 98% of the world could not solve it, you’ve just to got simply work out who owns the pet fish.
The following facts are known:
- There are 5 houses in 5 different colours (Red, White, Green, Blue and Yellow)
- In each house lives a man with a different nationality (British, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and German)
- Each man (who owns the house) drinks a certain type of beverage (Tea, Coffee, Water, Milk and Beer), smokes a certain brand of cigar (Pall Mall, Dunhill, Blends, Bluemasters and Prince) and keeps a certain pet (Dogs, Cats, Fish, Horses and Birds)
- No owners have the same pet, smoke the same brand of cigar or drink the same beverage
- All the houses are on the same side of the street and the first house is on the left hand side. References to the “neighbour” refers only to a directly adjacent neighbour.
You also know the following “hints” or clues:
- The British man lives in the red house
- The Swedish man keeps dogs as pets
- The Danish man drinks tea
- The green house is on the left of the white house
- The green house’s owner drinks coffee
- The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds
- The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill
- The man living in the centre house drinks milk
- The Norwegian lives in the first house.
- The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats
- The man who keeps the horse lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill
- The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer
- The German smokes Prince
- The Norwegian lives next to the blue house
- The man who smokes Blends has a neighbour who drinks water